We know of no other startup in New York that has better benefits than ours. Our benefits reflect a number of our values, including our deep commitment to family values. We believe our employees have a right to healthcare, retirement, vacation, and childcare. Some of our key benefits include:
- Top notch healthcare for you and your family
- 30 days of paid leave annually to help nurture work-life symbiosis
- A 100% 401(k) match for up to 6% of your annual salary
- 6 months paid parental leave (or double salary to pay for your partner’s unpaid leave)
- Free travel for any person accompanying a breastfeeding mother and her baby on a business trip
- A child care and education stipend up to $3,000 per month, per child under the age of 21 for a maximum of $6,000 per month total
- Flexible work hours that are compatible with having children
- Two weeks of severance for every 6 months served with a minimum of 1 month severance
Our benefits around family serve a number of aims. We want to remove the largest financial risks that come with working for a startup. We want to give people the time they need with their families through a combination of reasonable working hours, proper vacation, and parental leave. Ultimately, no one working for HyperScience should have to expose their families to undue hardship or risk.
Our benefits around family also serve to level the playing field. Given the high cost of childcare and education in the US, without these benefits, our offers would be considerably more attractive to people without children. We believe this is a bias that is systemic, unfair, and dampens our ability to hire people who may be older and more experienced.
Lastly, our benefits help break a particularly unfair dynamic. All children, regardless of their parents’ income, should have access to the same level of education and healthcare. This is our attempt to honor that belief.
These benefits are costly, but we want our colleagues to dedicate their time and energy to the company with the trust that the company will reciprocate and take care of them in return.
While we hope that our benefits will help us stand out and attract top talent, our greater hope is that in time we don’t stand out, as other companies follow suit. In the meantime, please take a look at our Careers page and see if anything speaks to you, or email me directly if you think you can help us build a successful business in a role we haven’t listed.
Copy: Peter Brodsky, Lindsay Bu
Design: Kat Lim