What is RPA?
Defining RPA, the pros and cons,
and why your business deserves
What is Robotic Process Automation?
Robotic process automation (RPA) is a technology solution for businesses that uses software robots, also known as “bots”, to help automate repetitive tasks within a enterprise’s workflow. RPA bots have been around for more than thirty years, making it what is now called a legacy technology in the intelligent automation space.
How does RPA work?
Suppose you have a team that handles the document processing workflow in your enterprise. Every time a document comes into your mailroom, that person needs to input the data from the form into a computer to make the human-legible information, machine-legible. What takes place next is what we often refer to as data entry. Now, imagine that department is processing hundreds of documents a day, some up to millions in a year.
RPA solutions are the technology that gives a bot the ability to mirror a task performed by a human. This solution over time can help alleviate some of the pain from the overwhelming work in document management systems, but by itself cannot be the solution in whole.
- Robotic Process Automation has been around for a long time
- RPA bots take simple rules and create repetitive tasks for automation
- These bots can often handle a variety of input data such as structured and semi- structured data
- RPA relies heavily on human involvement
- Bots do not have the ability to learn
- Robotic Process Automation is a limited technology in comparison to tools in the greater automation landscape
One of the main limitations of RPA is that it can only automate simple tasks. In order to work, a bot needs processes to follow pre-defined rules within structured data.
Unlike a Machine Learning solution, RPA does not have the ability to learn and relies heavily on human involvement. It lacks the awareness to make decisions and cannot improve on it’s own.
Hyperscience and RPA
For many industries, RPA is no longer sufficient alone. Enterprises need a range of tools to manage automation across various workflows. That’s why Hyperscience combined with existing RPA tools have come to be one of the quickest and easiest ways to combine automation tools for enterprises with bottlenecks in document processing.
Hyperscience’s intelligent document processing solution can work with your RPA solution or even in some cases, replace it.
Get a Demo
Our experts will walk you through:
- How to classify and extract data across complex, difficult-to-read documents, including handwritten forms, PDFs, images, emails and more.
- How the Hyperscience Platform intelligently plugs into your document processes with out-of-the-box and customizable tasks, workflows, and connectors.
- Plus live expert Q&A to answer any questions you have!