At Hyperscience, we focus on flexibility to accommodate the real-world needs of each employee. Never has this been more true than right now as our entire workforce is remote. We recognize the challenges of shifting the workplace to the home, as well as the importance of creating even more opportunities for our team members to stay connected and engaged. We reached out to Farra Strongwater, our Executive and Employee Experience Manager, about remote activities, why she joined Hyperscience and more. Here she is in her own words:
I started at Hyperscience in July to help cultivate and grow our amazing culture. Employee experience is an area that is super personal for me, and it really encapsulates the entire employee life cycle. It starts the first minute you speak with a recruiter through the time you are hired, what your onboarding experience is like and how you feel 2 or 3 or 4 years in. We want to create memorable experiences for the entire company that employees feel proud to share with friends and family.
Culture is not run by one person or one team – it is shared by every single member of the company – and I am happy to be able to work with a team that solicits and provides feedback and constantly shares ideas around how we can continue to grow our culture.
Our first Culture Committee includes employees from all different departments. We come together to keep a pulse on the company’s culture and bring Hyperscience employees together through company-wide internal events and initiatives. We’re creating even more opportunities for people to stay connected and engaged right now, given that we’re all working remotely.
For example, our People, Customer Success and Marketing teams are holding daily coffee meetings so people can catch up and set the tone for their day – similar to when we come into the office in the morning, grab coffee in the common area and catch up on the weekend/evening. We’re also offering health & wellness activities for those who want to participate, including Tuesday/Thursday lunchtime HIIT workouts and Thursday afternoon meditation. We still have our wine & cheese happy hours, which take place every two weeks to celebrate birthdays and hyperversaries, but now we’re being joined by pets, children and other family members. We also hosted a virtual movie night and banana bread making event! While these activities aren’t required, all are welcome and we’re finding employees enjoy having something extra to look forward to.
- Favorite Hyperscience memory? Our all company game night during our 2020 Kick-Off! We were able to bring more than 120 of us together in NYC to celebrate our achievements through something every Hyperscience employee loves – games!
- Favorite office snack/lunch? Taco Day and cheese sticks!
- Favorite perk/benefit? Our amazing family benefits, including 6-months paid parental leave and our childcare & education stipend.
- Favorite Culture Committee initiative? We have been given the opportunity to shape our culture and respond to feedback generated through our biweekly employee engagement surveys. Leadership has trusted the Culture Committee to brainstorm solutions that would work best for our peers, even incorporating some of our colleagues in the process.
- Favorite place in our NYC office? Our tenant Sky Lounge. If you need to have a 1:1, take a coffee break, or just work from a different area, the WTC delivers a full floor for tenants to hang out on.
- Why’d you choose Hyperscience? Our amazing recruiters and People team! Besides having some of the most thoughtful benefits, I was so impressed by the People team and Manya’s vision for the team. I felt that there was so much potential to grow my career, not just a job, with this company.
- Final thoughts? Start following Hyperscience on Instagram for more behind-the-scenes peeks at company events and Culture Committee activities. We’re hoping to roll out more employee spotlights soon!